Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Brain: The Process

I've spent a couple of months preparing for an evening Relief Society presentation
The theme . . . . . .
Emotional Resiliance: What Are My Choices?

On my way to the delight of teaching, I got to work with one of my weaknesses

My multi-variant brain . . .
zip                      
 zap
                    with
sparkly                  
pings
of                 
                                         rich
ideas

. . . .
flickers of stories
                                                                      experiences
                             concepts
                                           hard earned lessons
                                                    scriptures
                                                                                                  quotes

       clearing questions

lots of pieces

Once the theme was set in my mind

it seemed related ideas
                   popped
                                          up
                                                    in
             so
                  many
                                                                                         different
vistas  . . . .

                                                 thoughts
                        magazines
                                                                                                                               newspapers
                                   scripture
                                            articles
                                                                                          conversations

prayers
                         songs
                                                                                                                                                talks
                                           phone calls
                                                                                           fresh experiences

the note pile grew thick



I LOVE the topic . . . . .but the organizing process . . . . . .not so much

The
wrestle
to
sort
and
nudge
my
many
thoughts
into
a
linear
outline . . . . . . an excruciating process for me

Something I've learned:
My very beautiful brain that serves me so well as a counselor and listening friend
taking in clues .  . .sorting .  .sensing . . . noticing . . . reflecting
well . . . . .
it cries out in pain when required to do some linear tasks
Arg . . . .Don't give up, LD!
You know the scripture  . . . . weakness + humilty = strength

Then
finally
all is lassoed
into
an outline

Ah..... that feels good

Presenting was fun
A fine learning evening with wonderful women

And an invitation to present to another group is on the calendar


Have you ever noticed
that one of your gifts can also contain
the soft  underbelly of one of your weaknesses?


9 comments:

  1. Sadly I can relate all too well..we must be related. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparantly that is an Ison trait I've inherited also! I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could have been there to listen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martha, you would have loved being emersed in the topic! Hey, fly on a beam of light and join me for the next time I do it on April 3rd!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found your way through it! Wish I could have been there too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure it was a very enlighlening evening. Yes, it is crazy how strengths and weaknesses go hand in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. April 3rd...I'm marking my calendar...was that an invite to all? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok by me!
    Contact me and I'll let you know when and where.
    And, Alisha, I want to check in with you...to see if you are OK with a couple of anonymous stories I use from your childhood!

    ReplyDelete