Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Give a shout out for your school counselor!


Hey, it's National School Counselors' Week
Pass along a thank you note or a bar of chocolate to your child's school counselor!
My counselor colleagues are a delightful array of heartful and skilled humans.
I learn a lot from them
and like sharing my ideas with them.

******


I am being celebrated in little mists of appreciation at my school.
Some of the kiddos have written notes or drawn pictures for me this week.

So cute.
Another class sang to me as I came in to teach.
"For she's a jolly good counselor, for she's . . ."
They were so excited to hand me a big poster where each had written a note.
I promised to read every word.




My job presents me with a wide range of needs.

Coming through my office door might be a child

who has had a fight with their friend.

Or they are feeling the pressure of

a full schedule,

trying to get school work done,

along with sports, lessons and family chores.

Or they are worried about their family.

It is not unusual

to listen to a kiddo

who is sad, shocked or scared ----or numb

because of

parents fighting (they can name how many emergency vehicles were there)
mom in jail (wanting to make her a picture for her wall)
critical illness in the family (parent health declining from cancer)
being evicted (worried about living under a bridge)
mental illness in the family (yelling is scary--"I just can't take it any more.")


**********


Children
feeling the waves.
Parents
doing the best that they can
heavy weighted
with
deep challenges.

And a school counselor
offering

a quiet place

to feel

to talk

to play

to consider and decide.

6 comments:

  1. I am sure that you have helped lift many a small, burdened heart with your gentle, thoughtful ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of anyone better qualified to fill that role than you, Lora Dawn.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe you are one of the best around. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your school is blessed to have you.
    We are too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the first time I went to a school counselor. At first it was awkward, but eventually I learned that processing "stuff" could be fun.

    Thanks for always being a good listener and helping me learn how to deal with my "stuff"

    ReplyDelete